2018 GDG Gamay
2018 GDG Gamay

100% Gamay **Happiness**

$36.00club price: $28.80

Out of Stock

This item is not currently available.

About This Item

Background

Over the past 5 years I have been drinking more and more Beaujolais to the point that it has become just as well represented in my home cellar as Syrah or Nebbiolo.  Not only do at least a dozen producers crank out delicious, pretty wines; the bottles are still affordable enough to buy by the case or off any restaurant list.  With a few challenging vintages in Beaujolais, it is our duty as citizens of the wine world, to plant more Gamay in Santa Barbara County.

We own-rooted our first Gamay block back in 2016.  The vines have struggled to establish themselves in the extreme Ballard Canyon wind and diurnal shifts and yields are very low.  We are now working on grafting Gamay onto rootstock.  The new Gamay blocks will begin producing in 2021.  In the meantime, we are augmenting our production with our favorite Gamay vineyard in Santa Barbara County – the biodynamic Martian Ranch. 

As one of the new members of the Stolpman Syrah So Fresh Family, Carbonic and no sulfur added - GDG Gamay comes with a label hand-written in Ruben’s beautiful penmanship.  When Tom Stolpman arrived at Villa Angeli one Friday afternoon in early 2016 he noticed some re-plantings across the L’Avion runway in Block 6.  He asked me what we had planted and I answered, “oh, that’s the new Gamay!”

“You Planted GOSH DARN GAMAY?”

“Well, at least we have a name for it now!”

Vintage

Heat spikes define vintages in Santa Barbara County.  We are blessed to farm without fear of rain, rot, hail, and humidity.  In 2018 the only heat wave we suffered through arrived so early, on July 7; that it didn’t impact the fruit ripening or quality.  The summer turned into a moderate, steady, dream year when acids hung high as sugar slowly accumulated and intense, nuanced flavor developed.

2018’s long, gradual build in sugar and flavor rewards our carbonic wines in particular, as we always risk making light, primary wines when we don’t actively extract the flavors and textures of the grapes’ skin, pulp, and seeds.

Sensory

Happiness…. Sour cherry Candies….  Madness – red fruit for days.

Ho hum, yes, this is a serious wine, too. Flinty notes, crushed stones, herbal stems all create a symbiotic relationship with the drinker yearning for something more.   – Yes, it’s mashable, but intellectually so.

TASTING/TECH NOTES